LifeLike Pillows, like any other bedding or decor item, will eventually attract unwanted grime and bacteria and will be in need of a proper clean once in a while. But as difficult as it may sound, caring for your pillow isn’t hard. In fact, you can make your pillow look good as new, and smelling fresh by giving it a quick wash.
We've created a guide to help walk through how to clean and properly maintain a LifeLike Pillow.
The Big Question: Can I Wash a LifeLike Pillow?
One of the most common questions we get about our pillows is, “Can I wash my Lifelike pillow?” and the answer is YES! Our pillows are completely machine washable and dryable. Your pillow will come with a law label that states your pillow is made of 100% polyester. Rest assured that you may clean your pillow using any method appropriate for this material.
Why Should You Wash a Pillow?
Even if your pillow doesn’t leave your room or couch, it still collects your oil, dirt, and bodily fluids while you sleep or lay down on it. Not to mention fungi, dust mites, and viruses may thrive on unkempt pillows! A dirty pillow can aggravate or cause allergies and other health problems. But no need to fear the worse-- one of the best ways to take care of your health and preserve the quality of your pillow is to give it a good washing.
How To Wash A Pillow
Washing your pillow is quite simple and can be cleaned using by machine washing or by spot-cleaning. No matter the method you choose to use, always keep in mind to not use too much detergent and to wash your pillows gently.
How To Machine Wash Pillows
Lifelike pillows are 100% machine washable, which makes cleaning them a breeze. Just follow the directions below:
- Wash your pillow with cold water to preserve its vibrant colors.
- You may add laundry with similar colors to help balance the washer. This will prevent your pillow from being thrown around the washer too much.
- Be careful of overloading the washer– putting too many items in the laundry at one time may prevent the pillow from getting cleaned properly.
- Add your choice of detergent and wash on a gentle cycle. Try to not overdo it on the detergent as too much of it can leave a residue on your pillow.
- When you remove your pillow from the washing machine, you may notice that the shape of the pillow may look deformed due to the fiber being uneven. To fix the shape, all you need to do is press down and evenly distribute the fiber across the entire pillow.
How To Spot Clean Your Pillow
An equally effective way to gently wash your pillow is by spot-cleaning it:
- After removing any solid debris, grab a clean white cloth or paper towel. Don't use a colored cloth or printed napkins because sometimes the color can bleed onto the stained pillow.
- Dampen the cloth or paper towel with water, and add a small amount of cleaning detergent if necessary. Start at the edges of the stain, and clean the surface working from the outside toward the center.
- Allow the dampened area to air dry.
Important Note: When using a solution to spot clean, it is important not to use bleach as it will leave a mark that will damage the ink on the pillow.
How To Machine Dry Your Pillow
- Place pillow in the dryer and use the lowest heat setting possible.
- Stop dryer periodically to check if the pillow is drying evenly. Fluffing up the pillow with your hands redistributes the pillow’s fiber and helps with this.
How To Air-Dry Your Pillow
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the pillow. You may also remove excess water by blotting the pillow with a towel.
- Lay pillow on a flat surface or hang on a clothesline to dry. Make sure to dry pillows in a well-ventilated space. Pro tip: Consider air-drying your pillow in natural sunlight. The sunlight acts as a natural disinfectant against smelly bacteria.
So, just like you, your pillow needs some TLC every so often. Your pillow will accumulate dust, bacteria, and dust over time-- and that’s totally normal! With proper care and cleaning, your pillow will bring you joy for many years to come.
Are you a proud owner of a Lifelike pillow and have suggestions on how to wash your pillow? Please let us know in the comments below. Happy washing!